Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thing 13

I had the good fortune on the early release day in early October to have Karen come in to present to Highland staff the research calculator. We went to http://www.metrolibraries.net/pro/dribbling.html. There are so many steps for this research that could help students get organized. As a group of teachers we have discussed the usefulness of this calculator. Some of the parts of it were also demonstrated by Leslie Yoder in one of our session. I guess my personal feeling is that I would utilize some parts of the calculator if I was having my students do a longer research paper. In math class if I assign research it is usually happening simultaneously with the other parts of the class. This can be overwhelming to students. I have found that they can not organize their time and thoughts. The research calculator can help students work with a deadline by helping them to create their own deadlines with dates of thesis statement, beginning the research, brainstorming and focusing their ideas to less broad topics. This site had some information literacy lessons that could be done in the class to emphisize the steps used in any research.

No comments: