Sunday, April 6, 2008

Who's in control?

I had an interesting response to the oncoming school break. I had this feeling that I needed a real break. Not just a time away from school. So I made a decision that I would not use the computer to blog or look up anything for 6 days. I just wanted to maintain the idea that I was in control. I have taken the time to reconnect with my family and communicate one-on-one and face-to-face. I spent some of those days at real peace. It is rejuvenating and healthy to take this type of break. The information age we live in can hook us up to ipods, computers and email 42 hours a day and ys a week. Instead of living patiently, we anticipate quick and accurate responses. When those responses go missing or late, we may begin to feel a type of road rage. This is the unhealthy dependence we feel for the information age. I think as teachers we need to be mindful of this and control our urges and dependency on this fast moving information.

1 comment:

Janet Knoll said...

Oh, my, you are so right. It must have been restful and restorative to unplug for a week, and I'll bet that you didn't miss anything that couldn't wait. Sometimes even in the evenings it's important to leave the computer alone and have a low-tech interlude. -Janet